Resources for Ministers
Annual Ministerial Standing Forms
Forms are due no later than January 31st each year.
Forms are available in a printable paper form (in English and Español) as well as shorter online form (in English only).
Commissioned Ministers: You must have your ministry supervisor (or board in cases where you are the senior or solo minister) send a letter of evaluation/recommendation on your behalf prior to January 31st. You will be notified of your next Commission on Ministry interview.
Continuing Education & Clergy Health Boundary Training Opportunities
The Christian Church in Arizona recognizes the importance of a ministers continued engagement in educational opportunities and personal development. Thus, active Arizona Ministers with Standing are required to complete at least 10 hours of continuing education each year to maintain their standing. While it is the responsibility of each minister to ensure they find opportunities and complete at least 10 hours we are providing the list below of possible opportunities to help aid ministers.
You will find additional information about continuing education requirements in this email from June 2, 2021.
General Continuing Education Sources
The Lombard Mennontie Peace Center offers outstanding on-line workshops on congregational leadership. systems theory, and conflict management. Any workshops they provide count toward your continuing education requirements.
Disciples affiliated colleges, universities, and seminaries offer a wide variety of courses and workshops surrounding ministry. Any workshops or courses they provide count toward your continuing education requirements.
Anti-Racism Training Requirement (as of 2024)
- As of 2024, for continued standing in the Arizona Region, all clergy must have attended the Level 1 Anti-Racism training (one-day) offered by a Disciples ministry or institution after 2018.
- As of 2024, for continued standing in the Arizona Region, all clergy are required to have at least two (2) of their ten (10) minimum continuing education hours to be in the area of anti-racism/cross-cultural education each year.
Read more about this requirement in this email from April 19, 2021.
Clergy Health Boundary Training (required every four years for all Disciples clergy with standing.)
We are not planning an in-person training for Arizona Disciples this year. Your options will be on-line, or through another Disciples Region or affiliated ministry. To help you complete this requirement we have complied the following list of approved trainings.
- May 22 (limited space, register TODAY): offered by the Christian Church in the Southwest (Southwest Region) – https://www.ccsw.org/events/hbmay22
- Convergence: https://convergencecolab.org/p/boundarytraining-clergy
- FaithTrust Institute (101 or 201): https://www.faithtrustinstitute.org/healthy-boundaries
- Lewis Center (Maintaining Boundaries in a Digital Age, Understanding Clergy Sexual Ethics, or Assuring Financial Integrity): https://www.lewisonlinelearning.org/
- Any Clergy Healthy Boundaries training offered by a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) affiliated institution or ministry (e.g. seminary, region, general ministry).
Please note, this requirement must be completed by the end of 2022 to maintain standing in 2023.
We strongly encourage congregations to provide professional expense accounts to cover the cost of this professional training for their ministers. If your congregation or institution does not, and you need help covering the costs of the training, contact the regional office.
If you would like to take a Clergy Healthy Boundaries training not on the list above you must contact the regional office prior to enrolling and request approval from RCOM (include link and all pertinent details). It is your responsibility to complete an approved training and provide a certificate of completion to the Regional Office.
If you have questions or difficulties please contact the Regional Office. Clergy are encouraged to complete the requirements as early as possible.
Policies that govern the ordering of ministry in the Arizona Region of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) are primarily
- the “Theological Foundations and Policies and Criteria for Ministry (en Español)” established by the General Commission on Ministry (GCOM) and
- the “Policies and Criteria for the Ordering of Ministry (en Español)” established by the Arizona Regional Commission on Ministry.
Arizona Disciples ministers with standing in Arizona are encouraged to be familiar with both documents.
It is expected that all Arizona Disciples Ministers with Standing conduct themselves within the ethics outlines in the following documents.
Visit Disciples Mission Fund anytime for more information about Special Offerings or additional resources.
- Week of Compassion is the relief, refugee, and development fund of the church.
- Easter Offering supports the General Ministries of the church. General Ministries of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) support our denomination through ministries like the National Benevolent Association, Disciples Women, Disciples Home Missions, Central Pastoral Office for Hispanic Ministries, and many more. Additionally they support the Office of the General Minister and President which helps administer our denomination.
- Pentecost Offering supports Disciples new church development. Planning, nurturing and sustaining new congregation is part of the Disciples’ vision. Half of this offering is received by New Church Ministry to support the recruitment, assessment, training and coaching of new church leaders at events like Leadership Academy. The other half comes back to support New Church Development right here in Arizona!
- Reconciliation Ministry leads the pro-reconciliation/anti-racism work of the Church. One half of this offering goes to the General Reconciliation Ministry administered by the Reconciliation Ministry Commission made up of volunteers from around our church body. The other half comes back to support Reconciliation right here in Arizona!
- Thanksgiving Offering benefits the Colleges, Universities, Seminaries, and Divinity Houses affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
- Christmas Offering offering supports the ministries of our Region. Find Arizona regional materials here.Your generous gifts make a difference in our shared ministries throughout the Region. Contact the Regional Office for more information. Additional Christmas Offering materials are available at Disciples Mission Fund.